31 August 2017 – Malaysia aims to continue their great performance on Asia Rugby scene as they will have a team competing at the Asia Rugby Seven Series in Hong Kong this week. Malaysia is one of the eight teams in two different pools in a tournament which will take place at the Kings Park Stadium, Hong Kong.
Malaysia is in Pool A, along side the tournament host, Hong Kong, China and the Philippines. The Pool B is consist of Sri Lanka, Japan, South Korea, and Chinese Taipei.
Our national 7s team will be under the guidance of Edwin Cocker while Saizul Hafifi who lead the SEA Games team to claim Gold will be the assistant coach. It will be a completely different level from the SEA Games as Malaysia will face a much tougher test this time around.
It will be a completely different team compare to the 2017 Kuala Lumpur SEA Games. The list of 12 players are :
1. Mohamad Nasharuddin Ismail – IIUM Mustangs/Terengganu
2. Muhamad Hafzan Bakri Md Roni – Serdang Angels/Kelantan
3. Muhammad Zharif Affandi Mohamed Zahib – Serdang Angels/Terengganu
4. Nik Mohd Shahiddan Mohd Zain – Serdang Angels/Terengganu
5. Muhammad Nazir Asaari – SSTMI/Kelantan
6. Mohd Khairul Amrie Jafree – Serdang Angels/Terengganu
7. Badrul Muktee – Sandakan Eagles/Sabah
8. Hashraffuddin Basir – Beringin Rendang/Johor
9. Muhammad Fitri Abdullah – Serdang Angels/Johor
10. Mohd Zaiheri Zumardi – Johor
11. Mohammad Nazreen Fitri Nasrudin – Serdang Angels/Kelantan
12. Mohd Amir Aswad Mat Saad – Silver Gaurus/Perak.
It will be interesting to see how Edwin Cocker’s experience could benefit this team as they only have a few days to train together before they head to Hong Kong.
Malaysia will be hoping for this team to continue Malaysia great form on Asia Rugby scene after numbers of great achivement this year. Hong Kong will be the first of 3 series as they will head to South Korea and Sri Lanka later in September and October.
Malaysia will open their campaign against the Hong Kong at 1414, Hong Kong time.
Photos belong to Ragbionline archive