Politeknik shocked Angels for first win

18 February 2017 – Everyone was expecting Serdang Angels to comfortbly dispatch Politeknik Malaysia but the final result was against all odds. Angels had the better possession and only had themselves to be blame when they unable to put the match to bed, especially with their inability to complete numbers of conversions and penalty.

Serdang Angels ended the first half firmly in control as they produced two tries. Mohd Ikwan Akmal bin Zulkipli scored Angels first try in the 23rd minutes. Muhammad Faizal bin Md Tahir successfully complete the conversion to give Angels 7 – 0 lead. Politeknik Malaysia closed the gap with two successful penalty kicks. Flyhalf, Mohd Amir Aswad who had a brilliant match managed to complete both kicks to give 6 points to the Politeknik. With 2 minutes to spare in the first half, Mohd Sharif Saiful score Angels second try in the match. Angels lead Politeknik 12 – 6 in the first half.

Mohd Amir Aswad scored his third penalty of the match 5 minutes into the second half to give another 3 points to Politeknik before Serdang Angels hit back through their Hooker, Mohd Nurazman bin Ramli try. Muhammad Faizal bin Md Tahir once again unable to complete the conversion.

With the match is still up for grab, Politeknik Malaysia increased their intensity. Their well discipline back line proved to be valuable when they managed to stop Angels from scoring another try in quick succession. Politenik managed to score another try in the 59 minutes through their import Winger, Ilaisa Uluiatewa Batikadreu. Mohd Amir Aswad complete the conversion to reduce the point deficit to just one.

Politeknik make used of all the penalty as Mohd Amir Aswad makes it 4 out of 4 penalty kick. His 3 points in the 31st minutes gave Politeknik lead for the very first time in the match. Angels tried everything they could but Politeknik defended well.

Muhammad Faizal bin Md Tahir could have the final say of the match as Serdang Angels was awarded penalty in the last minute. He however, unable to control his nerve as his kick from the centre swing outside the right post with disbelief on his teammates face as well as on his opponents’ face.

Politeknik Malaysia won their first match 19 – 17 to reignite their chance in order to qualify to the quarter final. This is the second defeat for the 2016 champion as they also lost their opening match to Iskandar Raiders.

Photo by Masuti/ragbionline/CSN

Leave a Reply