2 January 2018 – 2 days into 2018 and most of the rugby fans in Malaysia are eager to watch their favorite sport. 2018 will a be a busy year for local clubs, school as well as for Malaysia national team. With the number of the big tournament, Malaysia will be eager to continue their fine run on the international level.
– National Rugby Development Program (NRDP) will have their biggest rugby carnival. It will take place at the University Putra Malaysia (UPM) on 20 – 21 January 2018. 172 teams have confirmed their participation so far in 13 categories.
– 8 teams will participate in the first-ever Veteran Alumni Rugby League. They will be having a match for a month with the final match is expected to take place right after the ARC. Teams like ASAS and STJ are expected to do well.
– The Premier 7s is back as MCKK Premier 7s will be having their tournament. It is expected to be bigger than ever with the tournament able to attract the top team from all over Malaysia and even from Hong Kong. The tournament will be on 24 – 25 February.
– Top IPT team will be playing against one another in the SUKIPT 7s. The 3 days tournament will be on 6 – 8th February.
– Malaysia will be having the first ever 3 National 7s Series. Melaka, Johor, and Perak will be the three host for the first ever series. Both Men and Women category will be available for all series with another two extra categories are on the card for the final series in Ipoh, Perak.
– Borneo 7s will surely attract top teams from all over the world with their top class tournament. Fans will travel to Sandakan as the tournament will take place from 16, 17 and 18 March 2017.
– Malaysia 7s team will take part in the Commonwealth Games in Gold Coast, Australia. The team is expected to gain valuable experience from the outing as they will take on numbers of the big team such as Australia, England, Fiji and New Zealand.
– Malaysia 15s team will face South Korea in the first match of Asia Rugby Championship Premier at the end of the month. The match is scheduled to take place at the National Stadium Bukit Jalil.
– Malaysia 15s is set to face 3 more Asia Rugby Championship Premier matches in May. They will face Hong Kong in National Stadium Bukit Jalil before the return leg in South Korea and Hong Kong within the weeks time.
– Ramadhan Kareem. Malaysia will have another game against the winner of Oceania should they top the ARC Premier.
– The brand new season for Malaysia Rugby League. It is set to be bigger than ever with only 8 teams expected to compete in the top league. The league is scheduled to start on 7th July with the 8th week ok the league will be in the first week of September.
– Malaysia 7s team will be having their second biggest tournament of the year. They will compete in the Asia Games 2018. The 2018 Asia Games will take place in Palembang, Indonesia from 28 to 31 August.
– Asia Rugby U20 is set to take place in Hong Kong. Both men and women team will be expected to improve on 2017 performance since both teams did not fulfill their expectation.
– Rugby is also part of the 2018 SUKMA Perak. The Under 21 state team will compete against one another to bag gold medal.
– Langkawi 7s and NS Royal will also take place in the September with the first will take place in the first week while NS Royal will be on 22 and 23rd September.
– Johor will start the campaign to defend their Agong Cup title in the very last week of September.
– The first and second round of Asia Rugby Sevens Series. The first will take place in Hong Kong while the second will be in South Korea.
– Agong Cup continues and will enter the knockout round by the end of the month.
– The third series for Asia Rugby Sevens Series. Sri Lanka will host the last round of the tournament.
– The final of Agong Cup will take place in the first week of November. There is no news on where will be the location for the final match just yet. The had it at Sandakan (2016) and Terengganu (2017) and could set to travel south for 2018.
– The 48th COBRA 10s. COBRA set to continue this year successful tournament on 10 and 11 November. However, it is expected that they will have another mini-tournament for junior and women before the date.
– Asia Rugby Under 19. Malaysia finished 3rd in Manila and they are set to take part in the Asia Rugby Under 19 once more for 2018.